Sunday, September 29, 2013

Wedding stuff

Damn, this wedding planning stuff is hard!! I remember when I visited Bryn Mawr college in junior year of high school,  and the lovely tour guide said she was studying biology but her secret dream was to be a wedding planner.

Well. I just thought that was the coolest thing. So antithetical to her chosen career path. For her sake, I hope she incorporates some of her dream into her reality.

Now I think she is crazy to want to do this for a living! Wedding planning is stressful, competitive and emotional. It is so easy to feel like you must keep up with the Joneses. There is a ton of family expectations that are tied in with the financial responsibilities. It got to a point that I was begging my fiance to elope. I could cross stitch while waiting for the JoP to arrive! En route to the  honeymoon! 

We decided that we have already invested so much into the wedding that we will have it anyway and that I would try to change my perspective. Family will not be an obligation, they will be witnesses to our joy and part of a banging party. We will incorporate all the things we love,  like ballroom dance, cookies,  delicious food and games. Our vendors will be people we truly like and feel good with,  and so far they have been wonderful.

So everyday I browse pinterest, weddinggawker and other sites for inspiration. Everyday, I take a step back, clear my head and ask myself if this is really me,  do I really decorate in those colors or styles, do I even like how her hair is done, will people notice the details when they're onto their second shock top beer?

In the beginning, I said to anyone who would listen that all that matters at the end of the day is that I am married to my love.

My feelings haven't changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment